The presence of a training plan for the trainer on the three axes (using technology, developing electronic content, teaching skills).
The Professional Development Plan for e-Learning serves to promote the continuation of teaching and learning and to ensure that staff have the necessary online teaching skills needed to provide an effective online education program.
Jeddah international School (JIS) is committed to support the professional growth and development of staff. The school believes that the development of professional skills and knowledge will benefit both the school system and the individual staff member. Therefore, the school encourages its entire staff to participate in continuous professional growth that enhances teaching and supports the highest quality of student learning
Professional development includes a broad range of activities that can provide opportunities for growth in knowledge, skills, and attributes leading to improved practice. These activities may be initiated by individuals or planned within the school and other educational work sites.
Teachers participate in a broad range of activities as they meet their personal and school goals for professional learning. These experiences promote a culture of teaching and professional development that has teachers working together as members of a learning community, rather than in isolation.
As active learners, teachers use PD to stay keep on top of changes that affect their work with students, such as new technology, new ideas about teaching and learning, new programs and different community needs.
Training plan for the Trainer
• Identify and develop effective professional development for all e-Learning roles across the professional development continuum.
• Identify the effective strategies and related technologies that are commonly adopted from online education to improve education in brick-and-mortar contexts.
• Identify and develop effective professional development in e-Learning for others less directly involved, including policy makers, parents and communities.
• Differentiate professional development for e-Learning according to the need, role and context.
• Ensure that practicing online teachers benefit from a professional development community with the latest research, studies and technologies for their field. Support teachers to develop appropriate reflective practices.
Using Technology for eLearning
The Information Technology department will ensure that accessibility is maintained and remain abreast of application updates and current e-Learning IT trends.
Various technologies will be implemented into various technologies into lessons to increase the productivity and interaction of students to improve our educational system and way of teaching.
The Canvas Learning Management System with supporting applications and software will be utilized to support e-Learning.
Microsoft 365 Applications
Information Technology Training:
• Cybersecurity – Training for IT department and all staff
• Ongoing software updates
• Application, Operation and Network security
• Troubleshooting computers
• Academic integrity and honesty
Teaching skills for eLearning
Priority is given to Professional Development Training aimed at helping teachers to teach and support eLearning.
• The use of technology
• Technological Literacy
• eLearning teaching methods and strategies
• Assessment and evaluation skills
• Time Management
• Online resources and use of electronic content
• Maintaining academic honesty
• eLearning with Microsoft Teams and Office 365
• Creating Digital Resources
• Basic Computer troubleshooting skills
• Communication Online
Virtual Learning will take place using Microsoft Teams, Office 365, Canvas Learning Management System and Ed-Admin Education Management Software. Courses are accessed via Canvas and electives are added to enhance coverage of the range of online learning environments.
Teaching staff will acquire skills to include:
• The use of differentiated instructional content and expectations to meet each student’s individual needs. This includes decisions about the best mode to provide instruction – synchronous learning, asynchronous learning, analog learning using pen and paper, active-learning incorporating student identified interests, and project-based learning.
• Making curriculum content available online as a resource for students and families to review as needed.
• Planning online activities that address goals and proficiencies that include feedback about progress and barriers and objective evaluation of project activities.
• Identifying areas of interest to motivate engagement during online instruction.
• The development of goals including specific proficiencies being addressed through projects.
• Synchronous learning using daily school schedules similar to the typical school program.
• Finalizing methods of assessment during virtual learning, eg. Classwork; quizzes; projects
Developing electronic content for eLearning
E-learning content is accurately prepared and presented in order to be effective. Instructional techniques are used creatively to develop an engaging and motivating learning experience.
E-Learning content consists of different elements, ranging from simple learning resources (e.g. documents and PPT presentations) to interactive content and simulations. Focus will remain mainly on the development of interactive e-lessons as they are the most common method for delivering e-learning content.
They offer a medium level of interactivity that allows teachers to use a variety of instructional techniques and media.
PD training will include the process of developing e- lessons, including preparing the content, applying instructional techniques and media and creating a final interactive product using appropriate software and authoring tools.
• Enhance the quality of learning and teaching
• Meet the learning style or needs of students
• Improve the efficiency and effectiveness
• Improve user-accessibility and time flexibility to engage learners in the learning process
E-Learning is a vast and expanding platform with huge prospective in higher education. Since there are many challenges in making eLearning effective, we pledge to remain committed to managing it well and staying current with new technology.